BlackOvis MTN Journal

The info hub for Solid.Hunting.Gear

1. Briksdal SF GTX Boot Review

I’ve owned and been using the updated Crispi Briksdal SF boots since they came out in May 2020.  I’ve used them on all my adventures so far this year: summer scouting, sheep hunting in Alaska, elk and mule deer hunting, and hiking through 10” of snow to pick up some moose sheds I’d found while hunting before the canyon closed for the winter.  I’ve been able to use them in a wide variety of terrain and temperatures, and they’ve yet to let me down.  I’ve been very impressed with them, and for me they are the ideal boot. Continue reading →
  2. Backcountry Cooking 101 - The Basics

There is no reason to just “survive” in the backcountry. You can still eat good and not add a ton of weight to your pack or your load. In this article, I will show you two styles of backcountry cooking and the basics for each. Whether you have backpacked in and are living off your back, or you have a small basecamp out in the woods. If you follow these basic rules, you will never go hungry.  Continue reading →
  3. Cold Weather Clothing Systems

Hunting in the late season when temperatures drop and weather is inconsistent can significantly hinder your hunting style and opportunities. I will never forget a hunt, when I was 16 years old.  My friend and I were chasing late season mule deer in Utah. When we started hiking in the morning it was 30 degrees and no snow, by the end of the day it was in the teens and over 2 feet of snow. My memory from that experience was how freezing cold and wet I was.  Continue reading →
  4. "Short and Sweet" - The BlackOvis Treeline Carbon Sitting Tripod

With multiple backpacking hunts lined up for 2021, my main goal for the upcoming season has been to reduce as much excess weight as possible. There are multiple pieces of gear, such as my sleeping system as well as cooking system, that made the “Reduce Weight” list. However, looking at the list, I noticed that my heaviest, as well as most utilized items, were in my optics/glassing system. Continue reading →
  5. Hilleberg - The Tentmaker

Hilleberg has been a top name in the tent making industry for over 45 years.  Their mission is to produce the highest quality lightweight tents available.  Hilleberg was founded in Sweden and has expanded to the US.   I first heard about Hilleberg tents years ago, but didn’t purchase one of my own until last year. In all the trip reports and gear reviews that I’ve read about them, if I had to choose one word that is commonly used to describe them, it would be ‘bombproof’.  They are on the expensive side, but it’s with good reason, and you get what you pay for with a Hilleberg tent. Continue reading →
  6. Selecting the Right Boot

What’s in a boot?...... A foot! Now that the lame joke is out of the way, I can address the topic at hand. What does it mean to select the right boot for you? What kind of features do you look for? What brands are out there? Why does any of this matter, it is just a boot…...right? My intention for this article is to share my experience from lessons learned to help shed some light on selecting a boot that is right for you.  Continue reading →
  7. Choosing Phelps Game Calls

Created by Jason Phelps in 2009, Phelps Game Calls took off quickly and is one of the most recognizable has trusted names in elk calling. As the product line has expanded, it can get a little overwhelming to figure out the difference between all the diaphragm calls, bugle tubes, and external elk calls! In this latest video podcast, we called Jason Phelps up to ask him just that. Watch below as we cover the entire line of elk calls from Phelps. Watch below Continue reading →
  8. Expandable Broadheads

Every year as archery hunters are making preparations for the Fall, it seems like broadheads are often the last thing on the list. Many guys will head to the local store, pick up a pack or two of whatever catches their eye, screw them on the front of their arrow and head out. Without fail every year you will hear a story about somebody who made a “perfect shot” only to never recover the animal. Most of the time the blame gets placed on the broadhead and it seems like it is usually an expandable broadhead. Continue reading →
  9. Peak Refuel: Never Settle

We need to talk about trends. The year is 2020 and you have been quarantined, social distanced, and terrified. With businesses shutting down and your house starting to feel like a prison, medical professionals have given the encouragement to go outside and take advantage of the fresh air. Great! Fantastic! You know, the outdoors that you enjoyed as a kid? There are millions of miles you can social distance in the outdoors. Here’s the kicker: People tried it and decided it was too much work.  Continue reading →
  10. Fixed Blade Broadheads

Here in the west we are six to eight weeks away from most archery seasons opening up. With prep time getting short a lot of folks are looking at broadheads trying to decide what to shoot. Both fixed blade and expandable broadheads have advantages and disadvantages, but in the article I will be focusing on fixed blade style broadheads. Continue reading →
  11. Sitka Mountain Optics Harness Review

Did Sitka revolutionize a whole new era in the optics harness space? The Sitka Mountain Binocular harness is one of the most versatile pieces of gear here in 2020.  Prior to receiving this binocular harness, my mind was pretty set on that a binocular harness is just a bulky uncomfortable necessity and there was no other way to carry your binoculars. This sleek design packs a punch and has many hidden features that have taken years of developing and testing to perfect.  Product Specs The product itself comes in a Pyrite solid color, as well as Gore Optifade Open Country and Gore Optifade Sub-Alpine camouflage. Starting from the top of this harness and working down, the low profile straps are made to fit comfortably under your pack. These straps feel very durable and are also breathable with loads of adjustments to fit any body type. Continue reading →
  12. NEW 2020 Arrows

New Hunting Arrows for 2020 Easton Easton FMJ Limited Edition Legend Easton has been running a limited edition of their popular FMJ for a few years now. In the past they have done the Fall Stalker Brown and Woodland Camouflage. For 2020 they have the Legend. It is the same FMJ arrow that everyone loves with a carbon core and aluminum outer. The Legend features an artistic whitetail scene on the logo, similar to what the engraving you may find on a high end shotgun. Continue reading →
  13. Big Agnes - 2020 Overview

Big Agnes Logo I initially tried Big Agnes after hearing about it from friends and other hunters. As a gear junkie, I am always searching for something lighter, more durable, and more comfortable. After years of research and seeing hunters like Ryan Lampers, that swear by the brand for extended backcountry trips, I needed to give them a try The first time I tried a Big Agnes product was last year when a friend let me borrow a pad for an early season hunt. Throughout that season I spent 10+ nights on that pad and was blown away. I have since used their tents, other pads, and lightweight backcountry chairs. In this article, I'll cover why Big Agnes is unique, what gear I have used in the field, and new gear for 2020. Continue reading →
  14. Communication in the Backcountry

Garmin inReach As the upcoming season approaches many of us are planning hunting trips, scouting trips, shed hunting and spending time outside. I spend a lot of time by myself on solo trips. Communication has become essential for my safety and peace of mind for my family. Luckily with the rise of modern technology satellite communicators are affordable and practical. Garmin inReach is at the forefront of handheld communication devices.  What is the Garmin inReach The inReach devices have become an essential piece of gear for myself and hunters around the world. In this article, I will mainly be covering the inReach Mini and briefly talking about the Explorer+ and the SE+ models. The Garmin inReach is a two-way satellite communicator with pole-to-pole coverage. The three models have the same basic functions with different options offered by each model.  Continue reading →
  15. Turkey Hunting -Top 3 Gear Choices for Beginners

Turkey Hunting in Utah Well, springtime here in Utah is just around the corner. For some this means nicer weather, rainstorms, and getting out of the winter funk. For others, it means to have the opportunity to get out in the woods and chase after turkey. There’s something about being in the turkey woods during the early spring. Maybe it’s the smell. Maybe it’s the sound of the birds chirping in the early morning hours. Or maybe it’s hearing that first gobble of the day echo through the trees. Whatever the reason, it makes for an exciting time in the turkey woods. Turkey hunting has been around for a while in Utah. There are two sub-species here in Utah, the Rio Grande and the Merriam’s. There are two seasons to hunt turkey in the spring - the Limited Entry and the General Season that includes a youth hunt the first weekend. The Limited Entry runs the last couple weeks in April. The youth (hunters 17 years of age or younger) then has 3 days to hunt before the General Season runs for the month of May. Hunting during the spring season can be exciting but very challenging. Utah wouldn’t be Utah if you didn’t experience all four seasons in a day. Depending on the day and where you’re hunting, you may have to deal with existing snow, mud, rain, or other obstacles Mother Nature may have in store for you. With all of that being said, you still can’t beat the time, experience, and the memories you get to have while in the woods.  My intention of this article is to highlight what I would consider my Top-3 preferences for turkey gear to help someone wanting to start into chasing after turkey. Like trying anything for the first time, some really don’t want to break the bank before knowing if this is something they enjoy. These three items could be considered basic elements to get you started while still trying to be budget minded. Just keep in mind, what works for one may not work for another. Continue reading →
  16. New Mystery Ranch Guide Light MT Frame

Mystery Ranch Guide Light MT Frame Looking to buy a Mystery Ranch pack? Trying to decide between Mystery Ranch or another pack brand? Already part of “The Ranch” family but looking to upgrade? If you answered yes to any of these questions you came to the right place! For the last 20 years Mystery Ranch has been making some of the best packs on the market. They are tough, durable, and effective. They have a wide variety ensuring you can always find the perfect size with all the features you need for any outdoor occasion. Mystery Ranch is always ahead of the curve, working hard, especially in research and development, making their packs better and better year in and year out. Mystery Ranch Scapegoat In 2019, Mystery Ranch released their new Guide Light MT Frame, which came equipped on the Selway, Sawtooth and Beartooth packs. This frame was a game changer. Now in 2020, Mystery Ranch will be using the new MT Frame throughout the whole lineup of load hauling packs. Lets layout the key upgrades so you can see what makes the new Guide Light MT Frame so great. Continue reading →