BlackOvis MTN Journal

The info hub for Solid.Hunting.Gear

1. 2020 Hunt EXPO - Guess The Score Results!

Thanks to everyone who stopped by our booth at the Western Hunting and Conservation EXPO in Salt Lake City UT this year! We're excited to announce the giveaways from the Guess the Score elk we were featuring in our booth. Here's a recap of what was on the line: The gross score of this bull was 397! Since there was...
  2. Colorado Elk 2018

(Submitted from BlackOvis Customer Glen Gust) It all started late December 2017 when told my wife that September 2018 was going to be the year I wanted to go on my first elk hunting trip. I shared my thoughts with an older brother Rollin that had just started archery hunting after a number of years of being off. He was on board. At the time I was 55 and my brother was 64. Also by May Carrie my wife joined forces. Shortly after I had made my decision I became a member of Elk101 and was getting into the online course. The course is so well thought out and I really enjoyed getting into all the information. I loved all the planning and research that goes into a backcountry hunt. From learning to call, to what goes into a pack ready for the back country, clothing and footwear, what state to hunt?? Wow, I could tell I hadn’t started too early. The big thing about Elk101 that really helped me was all the really pertinent information all condensed in one place. It was so accessible. Another thing that was so helpful was all the other resources that Cory was linked up with. gohunt, OnX, EXO, Rocky Mountain calls BlackOvis, MTN OPS, all of them we subscribe to or have purchased from them. From diet changes to a major change in our exercise program it was charge time. A quote that OnX had on their cover page last summer and fall became our motto, “Success favors the prepared”. We did our best to leave no stone unturned. Along the way we always seemed to be enjoying our new adventure no matter what challenges we faced along the way. Continue reading →
  3. New Broadheads for 2019

We pride ourselves at BlackOvis.com on being in the loop on new products and we strive to research every new offering and carry products that we think set our customers up for success. Every item we carry on BlackOvis has been scrutinized and meets or exceeds our standards. Every year we anxiously wait to see what new products and innovations are announced and decide what makes the cut to be on the site. The trend in broadheads for 2019 was stronger designs and better materials. This year we are excited to offer eight new broadhead models from 5 different companies. Each of these models has traditional characteristics of a quality broadhead. Strength, sharpness, good flight, and quality construction. Whether you want to shoot a two, three, or four blade, fixed or expandable broadhead we have you covered. Continue reading →
  4. Water Purification

BlackOvis offers a variety of water filtration systems. The goal is to find the one that works the best for you. Water filtration pens, bottles, gravity bags, and pumps are a good option because there is a physical filter that removes material from the end consumed product. Some can even remove or reduce the number of chemicals in the water. However the filters on all of these have a limited lifespan and require cleaning and eventually replacement. Water filtration systems at BlackOvis.com Continue reading →
  5. GORDON BUCK - Pending New Record Archery Mule Deer

Gordon Buck, 2018 Mule Deer In this day and age, in a world of self promotion and images that travel faster through social media than wildfire in a dry forest, how does a potential all time world record archery mule deer buck harvested in early September not be seen around the world until now? It starts and ends with a humble guy who is less interested in hype than he is in the hunt. Enter the bowhunter who harvested this once in a generation buck, Justin Gordon of Kamas, Utah. His drive and passion for pursuing mature mule deer in the high country has been his focus for nearly two decades. He's humbly gone about honing his craft and skill, all the while refining his equipment selection in order to spend time on public land, in true DIY (Do It Yourself) fashion pursuing his dream: to harvest a mature mule deer buck surpassing the magical 200" mark. Gordon Buck, Grip and Grin ONCE IN A GENERATION Continue reading →
  6. Jon Willis - Ovis Staff

Info: Profession: Crispi Boots Instagram: @j0n_willisHunting Style: Archery Favorite Species: Mule Deer, AntelopeDream Hunt: BuffaloPursuits: Fishing, Hunting, Archery, Camping, Cooking, American History, Reading, Music3 Most Essential Pieces Of Gear: Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody, Crispi Nevada GTX, Mystery Ranch Selway.Next Gear Purchase: A bigger freezer Bio: I’ve known I was a hunter for as long as I can remember. Tagging along...
  7. Ben Blakeley - OVIS STAFF

Info: Profession: EngineerInstagram: What’s Instagram?Hunting Style: Backpack/Spot & StalkFavorite Species: Bighorn SheepDream Hunt: Stone and Dall SheepPursuits: Hunting, Scouting, Backpacking, Photography, Fishing, Trail running, Hiking3 Most Essential Pieces Of Gear: Boots, optics, and a no-quit attitudeNext Gear Purchase: New Merino Base Layers Bio: I live in Utah and love the opportunities I get to chase big game on public land minutes...
  8. Austin Farr - OVIS STAFF

Info: Profession: MachinistInstagram: @farr_out86Hunting Style: Archery, Rifle, ShotgunFavorite Species: Mule Deer, Antelope, and WaterfowlDream Hunt: New Zealand Tahr and Red StagPursuits: Hunting, Backpacking, Shooting, Researching Gear, Wildlife Viewing, Fishing, Introducing My Kids To The Outdoors.3 Most Essential Pieces Of Gear: Puffy Jacket, Backpack, Hiking bootsNext Gear Purchase: New Binoculars  Bio: Hi, my name is Austin and I love the outdoors! Growing...
  9. Skousen Bro's - OVIS STAFF

Jeff Skousen Info: Profession: VP Sales at Domo Instagram: @skousenbrosliveHunting Style: Spot and Stalk Bowhunting Favorite Species: ELKDream Hunt: Yukon Moose Pursuits: Family, Fitness, Archery, Horses3 Most Essential Pieces Of Gear: Swarovski EL 10x42, Sitka system, Hanwag Alverstone ii gtx Boots Next Gear Purchase: Mathews V3 31 Bio: Jeff has been hunting since he could walk.  At the early age of 7...
  10. Mark Skousen - OVIS STAFF

Info: Profession: DeveloperInstagram: @skousenbrosliveHunting Style: Spot and Stalk BowhuntingFavorite Species: ELKDream Hunt: Yukon Moose / Brown BearPursuits: Family, Fitness, Archery, Horses3 Most Essential Pieces Of Gear: Swarovski SLC 10x42, Sig Kilo2400 Rangefinder, Sitka systemNext Gear Purchase: Swarovski NL Pure 10x42 Bio: Mark gained a love of the outdoors while spending many summers on a ranch in North West Colorado as...
  11. Crispi Hunting Boot Discussion Videos

Crispi Huning Boots - Learn everything you need to in the 2018 Crispi Hunting lineup from the guys over at CrispiUS - Continue reading →
  12. Elk Calling with Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls

James Taylor, Prostaff member for Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls and Bugling Bull, takes you through some of the best elk calling diaphragms, open reed calls, and bugle tubes from RMHC. Start watching below, or click over to our  Youtube channel here to see comparisons and demonstrations. Watch on YouTube
  13. Sitka Delta vs Delta Zip Wader Comparison

Sitka Delta vs Delta Zip: Similarities and Differences Delta Wader Video Delta & Delta Zip Similarities Size ChartSize Chart Features and Benefits Continue reading →
  14. BlackOvis NWT Merino Series

BlackOvis Merino Wool For this gear review, I purchased five items from the BlackOvis NWT Merino Wool gear line. The idea was to buy everything from the waist up, give it a go and see what I thought. I bought the following items: 150 Crew Short Sleeve Tee 200 ¼ Zip Base Layer Top 250 ¼ Zip Hoodie 200 Beanie 200 Liner Glove There is actually an additional top in their line, the 200 Crew Long Sleeve Top, but I missed it when I loaded my shopping cart. I can guarantee it will be hanging in my gear room before this September. When choosing a base layer material, we essentially have three options: synthetic, wool or a blending of the two. As a general rule, synthetics like polyester, capilene, et al. are less expensive, dry faster, breathe better and are typically more durable than wool. For a long time, wool was coarse, itchy and therefore uncomfortable. This was a strong motivator to buy synthetic. Merino wool isn’t a new product. It has been around for quite a while now, but when the industry discovered the amazing merino… it changed everything. A merino wool fiber is super fine, much more fine than a human hair, which translates into incredible “next to skin” comfort. Selective breeding programs and new manufacturing techniques continue to make wool “obstacle”s essentially obsolete. Continue reading →
  15. Garmin Fenix 5 Plus vs 5x Plus Comparison

Similarities and Differences between the Garmin Fenix 5 Plus and 5x Plus Smartwatch Click here to see the Fenix 5 Plus without SapphireClick here to see the Fenix 5 Plus with SapphireClick here to see the Fenix 5x Plus Differences The difference in price is effected most by two key factors: Continue reading →
  16. How to Select the Right Sleeping Bag

A sleeping bag that helps you sleep well can be a game-changer while spending time in the outdoors. If you don’t get some quality sack time at night, not only will you not be at peak performance the next day, you could end up pretty miserable. But not just any old sleeping bag will fit the bill; you need the right sleeping bag for you based on how you sleep and the conditions you plan to encounter (climate, weather, available shelter, etc.). It’s not a one-size-fits-all formula for selecting one of your most important pieces of gear; there’s several factors that you should take in to account as you look for the right bag for you. Often times, finding the right sleeping bag can be a trial and error process. I can tell you from experience that it is worth the time, effort and money spent finding the right bag that lets you sleep your best at night in the mountains. There are several styles of sleeping bags: rectangular, mummy, quilt, hybrid, etc. And within each of those categories, you can usually get down or synthetic in most models, left or right side zippers, extra length and/or width, wide vs narrow foot boxes, hood styles, and the list of options goes on and on. While I do own and use a very plush and roomy rectangular style bag that gets paired with a cot and foam pad when the occasion allows, the bag weighs something like 14 pounds and only gets used if I’m sleeping in a trailer or driving right to where I make camp. Since these situations are very uncommon for back country hunters, this article will be geared more towards how to pick the right sleeping bag based on backpack hunting/back country intended use where weight and size are at a premium. Continue reading →

Items 97 to 112 of 167 total