Dylan Cooley

1. Rainwear Guide

Rain gear is a purpose-built layer that is great for rain, wind, and snow. It will be the most water-resistant piece in your layering system. High-quality rain gear will be waterproof and breathable. In comparison to other fabrics rain gear is made out of a tougher material that is water-resistant, but also noisier. The type of rain gear that I bring depends on the season and type of hunt.   Continue reading →
  2. Index Vs. Handheld Release

Choosing the proper archery release is critical for accuracy and consistency. In the archery industry, we see new releases come out each year. Releases fall under two categories: index finger (wrist wrap) and handheld (thumb, back tension, and a hinge). The most popular option is the index or trigger finger release that is attached to your wrist. This release has been a staple in the archery community and is very easy to operate. However, in recent years handheld releases have become more prevalent in the hunting industry. Picking a release can be difficult because of the different types, brands, and models offered. Both Index and handheld releases will work in hunting scenarios but trying to decide which is best for you can be confusing. This article will cover the two styles of releases and talk about their pros and cons.  Continue reading →
  3. Best Early Season Scouting Apparel

Summer scouting for fall tags is right around the corner and there is no better time than now to dial in your clothing system. Generally, summer scouting starts in early July when the deer have migrated back to their summer range high in the mountains. Scouting trips will require hiking long distances and durations to finds the caliber of animal you will be looking for. Wearing the proper clothing will make scouting trips more comfortable and allow you to spend more time looking for animals. Some of the elements that you have to contend with are heat, rain, and occasional snow. With such a wide variety of weather conditions having proper apparel for all conditions is needed. Below are five clothing items that are perfect for early-season scouting.  Continue reading →
  4. Backcountry Gear Dump, Bear Edition

Spring bear is one of the best times to test and try out new backpacking gear for the year. I am always eager to test all the gear that I have upgraded during the winter. Below is my gear that I use for my backcountry spring bear hunt. Typically, I will try and be in the mountains for 5-7 days and follow a nomad style of hunting for spring bears. This style of hunting allows me to be light and mobile which is critical to find bears in rugged terrain. My bag weight will depend heavily on the weather forecast but I will try and keep it as light as possible for this style of hunting. I will be glassing most of the day during this hunt so a glassing chair will be worth its weight in gold. Depending on how stable the weather is, I will leave clothing at the truck or pack more clothing in my pack.  Continue reading →
  5. Camo vs Solid Colors

Is camo really necessary to harvest animals? This is a question I have had running through my mind over the last couple of years. Recently I have noticed that more and more hunters, including myself, wear solid earth tones and camo apparel. I have hunted in full camo, full solid earth tones, a mix of camo and solid colors through various types of hunts and environments. Throughout this article we will look at historical data, personal stories and the science behind camouflage.  Continue reading →
  6. Cold Weather Clothing Systems

Hunting in the late season when temperatures drop and weather is inconsistent can significantly hinder your hunting style and opportunities. I will never forget a hunt, when I was 16 years old.  My friend and I were chasing late season mule deer in Utah. When we started hiking in the morning it was 30 degrees and no snow, by the end of the day it was in the teens and over 2 feet of snow. My memory from that experience was how freezing cold and wet I was.  Continue reading →
  7. Big Agnes - 2020 Overview

Big Agnes Logo I initially tried Big Agnes after hearing about it from friends and other hunters. As a gear junkie, I am always searching for something lighter, more durable, and more comfortable. After years of research and seeing hunters like Ryan Lampers, that swear by the brand for extended backcountry trips, I needed to give them a try The first time I tried a Big Agnes product was last year when a friend let me borrow a pad for an early season hunt. Throughout that season I spent 10+ nights on that pad and was blown away. I have since used their tents, other pads, and lightweight backcountry chairs. In this article, I'll cover why Big Agnes is unique, what gear I have used in the field, and new gear for 2020. Continue reading →
  8. Communication in the Backcountry

Garmin inReach As the upcoming season approaches many of us are planning hunting trips, scouting trips, shed hunting and spending time outside. I spend a lot of time by myself on solo trips. Communication has become essential for my safety and peace of mind for my family. Luckily with the rise of modern technology satellite communicators are affordable and practical. Garmin inReach is at the forefront of handheld communication devices.  What is the Garmin inReach The inReach devices have become an essential piece of gear for myself and hunters around the world. In this article, I will mainly be covering the inReach Mini and briefly talking about the Explorer+ and the SE+ models. The Garmin inReach is a two-way satellite communicator with pole-to-pole coverage. The three models have the same basic functions with different options offered by each model.  Continue reading →

8 Item(s)