If you’re hiking outdoors for hours or even days on end, every ounce and every inch of your pack matters. So when Vanguard created the VEO 2, they wanted to fix one critical flaw: tons of wasted space. That goal alone made this tripod a breeze to carry anywhere with you in the field. Compared to other tripods, the Vanguard VEO 2  is one of the most compact out there. There’s no wasted space in its design. Every square inch of this tripod serves a purpose, but outside of space, what else does this beauty have to offer?

Vanguard VEO 2: Portability and Functionality 

One of the first things I noticed was how fast it deploys and packs down. It took me about 20 seconds from the moment I pulled it out of my pack, until I was glassing. Independent Leg positioning at 3 different angles (20°, 45°, 80°) for more versatility and the possibility to adapt to uneven terrain. Coming in at 2.48 lbs and 18” long including the Vanguard VEO2 PH-25 pan head. This tripod and pan head combo are very impressive for their weight and size. I have put my Swarovski 95mm spotting scope on the setup and was pleasantly surprised at the control and stability. 

Testing 

While out testing this tripod setup in several different terrain features I found the following to be the most productive. When glassing for mule deer in a high country basin from the bottom looking up  I would run all three legs at 45 degrees. When glassing in steep terrain looking down hill or straight across the canyon I like to position the two rear legs straight back towards me in the 80 degree setting with the front leg in the 20 degree setting. I tend to have both of my legs under the tripod while seated. 

Field notes

The Vanguard Veo carbon fiber tripod paired up with Veo 2 PH-25 pan head functioned beautifully. When would I use this tripod? I would use this tripod on most every excursion when I would be hauling gear on my back being conscious about space and weight. Why would I use this tripod? I would run this tripod for three reasons: Cost, size/weight, and last but not least performance. I've recently been glassing quite a bit with my binoculars off of this set up looking for shed antlers and have blown away at functionality and portability. 

My take on the Vanguard VEO 2

I personally have really enjoyed this tripod the last month of testing. The size, weight, and overall eye appeal is phenomenal. Quick extend twist lock legs and easy to use angle positioning locks make this tripod a blast to use. The one downfall I have found when using this tripod in uneven terrain is the first and standard leg position is a little steep and not as sturdy as I would like. This problem is easily resolved by moving the tripod to the 45 degree or second leg position. I would recommend this tripod to any serious backcountry or weight conscious hunter who spends plenty of time sitting behind the glass.

Check out the new Vanguard Veo 3 Go!