As an active hunter, I’m a huge believer in the benefits of layering my clothing system to regulate body heat.  An effective layering system includes 3 basic components. 1) A base layer that is worn close to the skin.  2) An insulation layer to provide warmth and 3) An outer layer to provide durability and protection from wind and moisture.  Depending on the conditions, any one of these three components can be worn.   It’s very common for a mid-September morning to start out in the 20’s or 30’s and warm up to 60’s or warmer in the day.  A thoughtful layering system in this scenario is extremely effective.  

The Sitka Aerolite Jacket was released this past year in 2021. I’ve worn Sitka Gear almost exclusively for the past 10 years and I love the way they continue to innovate and develop products with the hunter in mind.  You may be thinking to yourself, I already have a puffy jacket, why do I need a different one?  The answer may be that you can never have enough puffy jackets but, in all seriousness, I will breakdown some of the benefits and tech that go into this very innovative jacket.

the "Why" Behind the Aerolite Jacket

When people think of a puffy, they usually associate this type of jacket as being filled with lightweight down or goose feather insulation.   I have plenty of them.   The weight to warmth ratio of down insulation is undeniable.  Unfortunately, when this insulation gets wet from outside moisture or perspiration from the body, it starts to lose some of its insulating loft properties because the feathers clump together.   Alternatively, the Aerolite Jacket is made from PrimaLoft synthetic insulation.  The best part about synthetic insulation is that is stays warm in wet conditions.  The downside of synthetic insulation is that it usually translates into heavier and bulkier clothing. The Aerolite Jacket harnesses the insulating properties of trapped air to create synthetic insulation but also replicates the low-bulk, highly compressible characteristics of down, but with warm-when-wet performance.   

For me this is huge because at just 16 oz for the jacket, its weight is similar to some of my other puffy jackets, but I don’t have to worry about it failing to keep me warm when things get western.  With years of experience in the backcountry, I’ve found that always packing a lightweight puffy is a critical component of my “essential” gear.  The new Aerolite Jacket fits the bill perfectly.

In the field review

I put the Aerolite Jacket to the test this fall.  I used it as my main insulation layer on my September elk hunts as well as my late season mule deer hunt.  I was tempted to take more layers because I thought I would be cold on some of these hunts but this puffy performed over a wide range of conditions and temperatures.  Very light and very warm.  One of my favorite features is the fitted hood.  I rarely have to wear a beanie cap anymore because I can just pull the hood over my ball cap, and it keeps my head warm.  

Pros:

• Light weight (16oz) and low bulk
  • Wore in single digits with a base layer and was plenty warm
  • Wicks moisture well – can be used for active hiking
  • PrimaLoft doesn’t clump and stays warm
  • Comfortable fitted hood
  • Polyester face is durable – Can be worn as an outer layer
  • Comes in solid colors for non-hunting applications
  • Comes in a vest that is just as cool
  • Size Med fits perfect.  I’m 5’10.  175lbs.

Cons: 

• Polyester face makes a little noise.  Not as quiet as fleece 

manufacture specs on the jacket

• Weight: 16 oz.
  • Synthetic PrimaLoft® Gold Insulation with Cross Core™ technology replicates the warmth and compressibility of down, but with the benefit of warm-when-wet performance
  • Lightweight insulation (35% recycled) is infused with silica aerogel, a nearly weightless material that’s composed of more than 95% air and acts as additional thermal insulation
  • 20-denier polyester face with durable water repellent finish, 20-denier polyester backer
  • DWR finish resists precipitation and prevents face fabric from wetting out
  • Gusseted stretch cuffs allow for smooth, easy layering and unrestricted shooting
  • Fitted hood provides low-profile warmth and concealment; doesn’t obstruct peripheral vision
  • Deep, zippered chest pocket safely stores your valuables

Mark Skousen

Shop the Kelvin Aerolite Jacket

Shop Sitka Gear