Field Tips & Tricks

1. Pre-Season Turkey Hunting Tips from Kevin Weber

Each and every year it never seems to fail. Between trade shows and some other late season or off-season duties, turkey season always seems to sneak right up on us. Now, I would be lying if I said there was a lot to do before the season starts. I’m not saying there is not for some people, but for me there are a few things to iron out before the season gets here. Turkey hunting can be very easy sometimes, or it can be extremely challenging. This is a good reason why you want to stack as many odds as possible in your favor. Continue reading →
  2. Mastering the Art of Whitetail Food Plot Placement for Deer Hunting

mastering the art of whitetail food plot placement For avid hunters and wildlife enthusiasts, there's an unwavering fascination with whitetail deer. These majestic creatures captivate our imagination and fuel our desire to be immersed in nature. As hunting strategies evolve, one approach that has gained considerable traction over the years is the establishment of food plots specifically designed to attract and sustain whitetail populations. Continue reading →
  3. Guide to Hearing Protection for Hunting: Protect Your Ears and Enhance Your Hunting Experience

ear muff for big game hunting To hear or not to hear, this is the question. When I was in Hunter’s Safety, they stressed the importance of wearing eye and ear protection when using a firearm. Even when at a shooting range, safety is always Number 1. In a sense, safety should be equally important while hunting, more specifically, hearing protection.  Continue reading →
  4. Learning to Hunt New Areas

Hunting opportunities in the Western United States is more difficult to obtain now than ever before. Starting fresh in the current big game hunting scene is downright daunting. The demand for tags far exceeds the supply and opportunities to hunt old stomping grounds may not come around as often as we would like. I, like many, have come to realize that if you want to hunt every year, you need to adapt by expanding the aperture to look at hunting different units and states. Those willing to adapt will find a way, and believe it or not, spectacular over-the-counter opportunities are still out there. Continue reading →
  5. Our Favorite Multi Use gear

Good, quality gear is supposed to make our outdoor pursuits more comfortable, easier, and more efficient.  Most hunting gear is designed with a specific use case in mind, so as we embark on different adventures and our needs vary slightly (or drastically) from one trip to the next, we’re going to accumulate lots of different types, brands, sizes, and weights of gear items.  One of the huge benefits of modern gear is that it does what it is designed to do very well, but it may only be good for accomplishing that one task or filling that specific niche.  Finding gear that can be useful in multiple scenarios for different situations and tasks can save you money, space, and weight in your pack. Continue reading →
  6. Hunting The Iowa Whitetail Rut

When I first began hunting the river bottoms of Iowa with a shotgun at an early age, the whitetail rut is something I did not know about. As a clueless youth hunter, I simply only knew about deer drives and that was it. For those of you who don’t know what a deer drive is, it is when a group of hunters walk into a piece of land in hopes of pushing deer towards other group members that are strategically set up to shoot. Now, I am guilty along with many others that obsess over hunting the whitetail rut with a bow. Continue reading →
  7. What I Wish I Knew Before My First Elk Hunt

Going on your first elk hunt is both exciting and intimidating. Being from the midwest, the only knowledge or intel I had about elk hunting came from various internet sources. Many different people online were saying “You just need to go out and fail”. Now that is definitely not what any first time hunter wants to hear. I wanted to be successful of course, I mean who wouldn’t? In this article I will dive into a few different subjects that have stuck out to me the most and have been the biggest learning lesson. Keep in mind, I am from Iowa and have hunted Colorado OTC Archery two times. Continue reading →
  8. 3 Tips for Better Elk Hunting Success

With Elk season right around the corner, I wanted to share a few tips that have helped the Skousen Bros be more successful elk hunters.  These nuggets of wisdom have been learned and relearned over years of spending a lot of time in the elk woods.  Hopefully you can relate or at least consider some of these tactics for your upcoming season. Continue reading →
  9. How to Build Accurate Arrows

My twin brother Jeff and I build our own arrows and we are constantly tinkering with our setups to build the most accurate arrows.  A few months back, Jeff wrote an article called "Arrow Setup 101". Arrow accuracy is built upon many of the fundamentals that Jeff discussed in his article.  In addition to trying to build the most accurate arrow it is very important to understand that bow tuning is essential to complete this process.  I won’t go into detail about bow tuning in this article, but even the most accurate arrow won’t have perfect flight without a well-tuned bow.  Bow tuning is essentially creating an environment where the arrow leaves the string of your bow in its most efficient and natural form.  What an arrow does after it leaves the string, is influenced by arrow accuracy. Continue reading →
  10. Turkey Hunting Checklist

It’s March and by now you have probably experienced some warm spells that have sparked your interest for the spring endeavors that are to come. Here in Iowa we have experienced some 50 and 60 degree temperatures in the later parts of February and it definitely has a lot of outdoor enthusiasts chomping at the bit. In Iowa, spring time means a few different things. There are a few favorites to partake in, such as shed hunting, morel hunting, and of course turkey hunting. Continue reading →
  11. Knife Sharpening Tips & Tools

Knives are tools that have a countless number of uses and come in a similarly countless number of styles and designs. One thing all knives have in common is that whatever it is you’re using it for, it will do a better job if it’s sharp. Replaceable blade knives have come a long way over the past few years. Today they are used for EDC purposes as well as hunting applications. I own and use the Outdoor Edge Razor-Blaze replaceable blade knife. I use it frequently in the field and perform great in field dressing, skinning, and quartering duties.  Continue reading →
  12. Off-Season Checklist

If you’re like many other hunters today, you prepare year-round for a short and sweet hunting season. It blows my mind how fast it goes when you spend ¾ of the year waiting for it to get here. For many hunters though, it’s becoming more and more about the process of preparation, just as much as it is hunting itself. With that being said, the list of things you can do as a hunter is long and could go on and on as long as you want it to. Lists of things to do will vary from whitetail hunters vs western big game hunters. In this article I will do my best as a whitetail hunter to give insight on all the types of hunting and off-season work that can be done. Continue reading →
  13. How to Get the Most Out of Your Glass

Optics have become one of the essential pieces of gear for just about any big game hunt.  They can save us many miles of hiking in order to assess game, and they allow us to look at animals without having to be very close and risk spooking them.  Optics are one of the biggest advantages we have on a hunt.  In order to get the most out of your glass there’s several easy things you can do. Continue reading →
  14. Whitetail 365 Day Preparation

Most hunting seasons are a month or a couple of months out of the year. As the industry continues to expand and passions grow, those couple of months out of the year are not enough for most enthusiasts. When it comes to whitetail hunting, I personally think it provides the most out-of-season work, if you're willing to take it on. Throughout this article I will highlight a lot of the types of work that can be done throughout the year as the seasons progress. Keep in mind that I reside in Iowa and all weather patterns may not match up with other states. Continue reading →
  15. 2021 State Hunter Orange Requirements

Here's a quick look at the information we've gathered on if and how much blaze orange you might need in the state you're hunting: Continue reading →
  16. Elk Calling Setup and Tactics

I’m so pumped that elk season is just around the corner.  In a few short weeks, we will be piling into the backcountry in search of the magical sound of a bugling bull elk.  Even if you are only hunting over the counter tags for spikes or cow elk in Utah, for me, hearing that first bugle of the season is exhilarating.  Getting close enough to that elk for a shot opportunity is a whole different story.  This article will focus on my approach to getting close to elk and setting up on them for an optimal shot opportunity.  Continue reading →

Items 1 to 16 of 39 total

Page