Gear Reviews

1. Stealth and Comfort: Whitetail Hunting in Crispi Hunting Boots

If you go back several years, some might look at you funny and wonder why in the world you are wearing hiking boots in the whitetail woods. For many of the older generations, the only type of hunting boots that comes to mind are the old classic rubber gumboots. For the winter time you may even throw on an insulated pair and you would be good to go. Boy, but if you had any walking to do, you were destined to have a soaking wet sock by the end of your jaunt. Fortunately, innovation and technology has brought more and more advanced footwear into the hunting community and it’s spread to even us whitetail folk in the midwest. Continue reading →
  2. Peax Storm Castle Gaiter: A Comprehensive Hunting Gear Review

Peax Castle Gaiters gear review A good set of hunting gaiters can be a game-changer if the conditions are right.  Gaiters do a great job at protecting your lower legs and feet, keeping them dry when you’re busting brush and things are wet, and they can also be beneficial for creek crossings if the water isn’t high enough to go over your boots.  When I first got a hold of the Peax Storm Castle Gaiters, it could not have been at a more opportune time since my tried-and-true Outdoor Research Crocodile gaiters were finally starting to give up the ghost after several years and many, many miles. Continue reading →
  3. Guide to Hearing Protection for Hunting: Protect Your Ears and Enhance Your Hunting Experience

ear muff for big game hunting To hear or not to hear, this is the question. When I was in Hunter’s Safety, they stressed the importance of wearing eye and ear protection when using a firearm. Even when at a shooting range, safety is always Number 1. In a sense, safety should be equally important while hunting, more specifically, hearing protection.  Continue reading →
  4. Swarovski ATX 65mm vs 85mm lens comparison

A spotting scope can be one of the most valuable pieces of equipment in your pack.  Whoever coined the saying ‘let your eyes do the walking’ was a wise person.  A spotting scope can and will save you countless miles of hiking to evaluate animals, see what that flash of movement was under a tree across the draw, or count rings on a ram’s horns to determine their age.  The number of situations where a spotting scope is beneficial are too many to count, and if you hunt anywhere that requires spotting animals from a distance, you know exactly what I’m talking about. Continue reading →
  5. Big Country with Big Glass

- Swarovski NL Pure 12x42 - As a hunter who spends several weeks per year pursuing big game from the vast expanses of the Alaska tundra to the cactus laden desert flats of New Mexico, I am always looking for more efficient ways to accomplish my goals. This year, I had an urge to reduce my optics footprint from a dual binocular 10x/15x system to a hybrid one binocular approach.  With this concept in mind, my thoughts and curiosity constantly wandered towards an optics system utilizing the newly released NL Pure 12x42 in tandem with the modular Swarovski ATX/BTX.   Continue reading →
  6. “Sitka Tool Bucket” - a Whitetail Pack Dump

As a whitetail deer hunter, when I hit the woods I like to be silent and organized. Fortunately, the Sitka Tool Bucket has been the perfect tool for the job my last 5 seasons of hunting. When I first began bowhunting everything I took to the stand with me got tossed in an old camouflage backpack that only had a couple pockets. All the jiggling and rattling that took place, it’s surprising there was even a deer left in the county when I reached my treestand. As my obsession and attention to detail has grown as a whitetail hunter, it was time to take things to the next level and the Tool Bucket did just that. I will take you through my pack setup and some of my favorite features about the Tool Bucket. Continue reading →
  7. Grading the Mystery Ranch Guide Light MT Frame

As a mountain hunter, I am constantly searching for gear that works and I am not opposed to buying different brands and designs to find out what works best for me.  This approach can get expensive, but it’s the only way I know to find solid gear that truly meets my requirements.   Continue reading →
  8. Our Favorite Multi Use gear

Good, quality gear is supposed to make our outdoor pursuits more comfortable, easier, and more efficient.  Most hunting gear is designed with a specific use case in mind, so as we embark on different adventures and our needs vary slightly (or drastically) from one trip to the next, we’re going to accumulate lots of different types, brands, sizes, and weights of gear items.  One of the huge benefits of modern gear is that it does what it is designed to do very well, but it may only be good for accomplishing that one task or filling that specific niche.  Finding gear that can be useful in multiple scenarios for different situations and tasks can save you money, space, and weight in your pack. Continue reading →
  9. CBE Sight Review

My search for a new hunting sight was intentional but what I ended up with was a result of not being able to get the original sight I thought I wanted.  I had a spring Alaska bear hunt coming up in May and I needed an immediate solution. The sight I wanted had been on order for 4 months and got delayed again due to supply chain issues.  I was explaining my dilemma to a good friend and hunting mentor, and he told me to check out the CBE Trek Pro Sight.  I’m glad I did.   Continue reading →
  10. So, You Got a New Bow Huh?

I have been intrigued by archery since I was a little kid. My first few setups were recurve bows and mismatched arrows. The birds, squirrels, and hay bale targets in my yard were generally pretty safe but I didn’t care. I just loved watching the arrows fly. As I got older my desire to hit what I was aiming at gradually caught up, so at age 10 or 11 I finally graduated to a compound bow with a set of matched, store-bought arrows! That first setup was a pretty simple flipper-style rest and single-pin sight, but it was the start of a journey with bows and arrows that has led me throughout life. Watching arrows fly is still a thrill for me.  Continue reading →
  11. Hawk Tree Saddle

By now most modern hunters have heard of a tree saddle or understand the concept of one. There are still some though who definitely looked confused when you throw the term “tree saddle” out there. The past couple of years they have grown a lot in popularity, especially for those who are into mobile hunting. Dive in with me as I talk about my first experience trying one out and what my initial thoughts are of the Hawk Tree Saddle. Continue reading →
  12. Kill Kit Essentials

The purpose of a kill kit is to have all the essential items organized in one place to process an animal in the field.   This list can vary a bit based on personal preference but in my opinion, there are some critical items that should be considered for every kit.  Here is a breakdown of what is in mine. Continue reading →
  13. Skyscraper 2P Tent Review

It wasn’t very long ago that I was in the market and searching for a lightweight tent. There were a few different brands that I was considering before deciding on the Skyscraper 2P from Stone Glacier. If you know much about Stone Glacier, I think everyone can agree that they are a very reputable company and well-known for their quality and lifetime warranty. Stone Glacier products are made right here in America in a town by the name of Bozeman, MT.  Continue reading →
  14. Fixed vs. Replaceable Knives

I think most hunters can agree they grew up using knives that did not have replaceable blades. Nowadays you will find lots of hunters that carry them and do not remember the last time they had to sharpen a blade. If you were to ask a handful of people which style of knife they prefer, I am sure you would get different types of answers. In this article I will help point out some of the main differences and which style of knife I would choose if I could only choose one. Continue reading →
  15. Index Vs. Handheld Release

Choosing the proper archery release is critical for accuracy and consistency. In the archery industry, we see new releases come out each year. Releases fall under two categories: index finger (wrist wrap) and handheld (thumb, back tension, and a hinge). The most popular option is the index or trigger finger release that is attached to your wrist. This release has been a staple in the archery community and is very easy to operate. However, in recent years handheld releases have become more prevalent in the hunting industry. Picking a release can be difficult because of the different types, brands, and models offered. Both Index and handheld releases will work in hunting scenarios but trying to decide which is best for you can be confusing. This article will cover the two styles of releases and talk about their pros and cons.  Continue reading →
  16. LEG GAITER COMPARISON

At a certain point in time, we have all been in the situation of having soaked pant legs after hiking around through the misty morning, dew-soaked brush in the mountains. A lot of us have even been in the scenario of hiking around late in the season where the air is crisp, and the snow has a rhythmic crunch with every step you take. These are both prime scenarios when wearing gaiters could be a comfort along with protecting your pant legs from some of the elements. Continue reading →

Items 1 to 16 of 55 total

Page