Archery

1. Stealth and Comfort: Whitetail Hunting in Crispi Hunting Boots

If you go back several years, some might look at you funny and wonder why in the world you are wearing hiking boots in the whitetail woods. For many of the older generations, the only type of hunting boots that comes to mind are the old classic rubber gumboots. For the winter time you may even throw on an insulated pair and you would be good to go. Boy, but if you had any walking to do, you were destined to have a soaking wet sock by the end of your jaunt. Fortunately, innovation and technology has brought more and more advanced footwear into the hunting community and it’s spread to even us whitetail folk in the midwest. Continue reading →
  2. SITKA Launches Intercept Collection to Handle the Toughest Hunting Terrain for Bowhunters

We've all been there before when you're closing in on a deer and the slightest hint of sound completely blows the stalk. As hunters we scrutinize our gear watching for any zipper, flap, or fabric that needs to be left out of the field. Continue reading →
  3. Mastering the Art of Whitetail Food Plot Placement for Deer Hunting

mastering the art of whitetail food plot placement For avid hunters and wildlife enthusiasts, there's an unwavering fascination with whitetail deer. These majestic creatures captivate our imagination and fuel our desire to be immersed in nature. As hunting strategies evolve, one approach that has gained considerable traction over the years is the establishment of food plots specifically designed to attract and sustain whitetail populations. Continue reading →
  4. Is the Sitka Mountain Evo the best early season Bowhunting Jacket?

Sitka mountain evo I have been running Sitka clothing for over 10 years now, and one of the many attributes I respect about Sitka Gear is there seems to be a significant amount of thought and testing that goes into new gear before it is ever introduced to the market.  I’ve found them to be very innovative and thought leaders in the industry. The recent introduction to the Sitka Mountain Evo Jacket is no different.  After having put the Evo Jacket through some initial testing, I was continually thinking, oh this is why they did this or did that.  So far it has been brilliant; so, kudos to John Barklow and the rest of the Big Game development team for thinking outside the box and developing a piece of technical gear for all types of outdoor enthusiast. Continue reading →
  5. Grim Reaper Broadheads – Fixed vs Mechanical

Whether you are brand new to archery or a long-time veteran, you have probably noticed that there are very strong opinions on the topic of broadheads. The big debate and question is should I shoot a fixed blade or mechanical head on the end of my arrow?  I don’t know that there is a right or wrong answer to this question because there are pros and cons to both setups.  Also, there are many variables that should be considered to help answer this question.  I have been a big fan of Grim Reaper Broadheads for many years. The company is a small family-owned business that has been around for 20 years.  They have a robust product line and a proven track record of quality.  As an added bonus, they are 100% made in the USA which helps them with quality control.  Not many other broadhead companies can say that these days.  Continue reading →
  6. Reviewing the New Carter Index Release - The “Like Mike II”

When I first got into archery, I only shot index finger style releases and like most new archers, I wasn’t properly executing my shot.  I basically lined up the pin on what I was aiming at and let er rip.  Since then, I have tried many different styles of release aids and have gotten much better at controlling my shot process.  At one point in my archery evolution, I picked up a Carter release called the “Like Mike”.  This is an index finger style release that has some adjustability for tension and travel.  Meaning you can make the trigger easier or harder to go off as well as you can adjust how much creep is in the trigger. Similar to the adjustment of a good rifle trigger.  This past year, Carter announced an upgraded version of the “Like Mike” and called it the “Like Mike II”.  This article will go over some of the enhancements to the new model Continue reading →
  7. Single vs Multi Pin Sights for Archery Hunting Whitetails

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to this comparison. I’ve spent roughly seven years in the whitetail woods with a bow and can honestly say both types of sights are equally effective. The majority of whitetail shots happen between 20 and 30 yards. This is coming from my midwestern perspective, now if you hunt whitetails out west for example, that may be a completely different story. Here in Iowa most whitetail bowhunting is done from a treestand, ground blind, or elevated box blind. Whether you are setting up on a nearby trail or food source, you generally are banking on that easy chip shot. Continue reading →
  8. CBE Sight Review

My search for a new hunting sight was intentional but what I ended up with was a result of not being able to get the original sight I thought I wanted.  I had a spring Alaska bear hunt coming up in May and I needed an immediate solution. The sight I wanted had been on order for 4 months and got delayed again due to supply chain issues.  I was explaining my dilemma to a good friend and hunting mentor, and he told me to check out the CBE Trek Pro Sight.  I’m glad I did.   Continue reading →
  9. New Archery Products for '22

The archery industry is a constantly revolving door of new products and trends, where many fade in and out in a short number of years. Here at BlackOvis, we seek out products and brands that are here to stay and that we ourselves believe are truly solid hunting gear. Over the last year, several new products have been released that stand out above the rest and deserve to be recognized. The products that are highlighted here have all been put through the paces and have earned a spot on our bows. Continue reading →
  10. So, You Got a New Bow Huh?

I have been intrigued by archery since I was a little kid. My first few setups were recurve bows and mismatched arrows. The birds, squirrels, and hay bale targets in my yard were generally pretty safe but I didn’t care. I just loved watching the arrows fly. As I got older my desire to hit what I was aiming at gradually caught up, so at age 10 or 11 I finally graduated to a compound bow with a set of matched, store-bought arrows! That first setup was a pretty simple flipper-style rest and single-pin sight, but it was the start of a journey with bows and arrows that has led me throughout life. Watching arrows fly is still a thrill for me.  Continue reading →
  11. How to Build Accurate Arrows

My twin brother Jeff and I build our own arrows and we are constantly tinkering with our setups to build the most accurate arrows.  A few months back, Jeff wrote an article called "Arrow Setup 101". Arrow accuracy is built upon many of the fundamentals that Jeff discussed in his article.  In addition to trying to build the most accurate arrow it is very important to understand that bow tuning is essential to complete this process.  I won’t go into detail about bow tuning in this article, but even the most accurate arrow won’t have perfect flight without a well-tuned bow.  Bow tuning is essentially creating an environment where the arrow leaves the string of your bow in its most efficient and natural form.  What an arrow does after it leaves the string, is influenced by arrow accuracy. Continue reading →
  12. Arrow Setup 101

One of my favorite things to do each fall is chase bugling bulls with my bow.  From the moment the last light fades on my last hunt, I start tinkering with my bow and arrow setup to see how it can be improved.  Over the years I have done a lot of research on what I think makes the best Elk hunting arrow. I have also looked at a lot of “Game Film” in the offseason from the hunts of others’ trying to determine what set-ups seem to work best.  Continue reading →
  13. Expandable Broadheads

Every year as archery hunters are making preparations for the Fall, it seems like broadheads are often the last thing on the list. Many guys will head to the local store, pick up a pack or two of whatever catches their eye, screw them on the front of their arrow and head out. Without fail every year you will hear a story about somebody who made a “perfect shot” only to never recover the animal. Most of the time the blame gets placed on the broadhead and it seems like it is usually an expandable broadhead. Continue reading →
  14. Fixed Blade Broadheads

Here in the west we are six to eight weeks away from most archery seasons opening up. With prep time getting short a lot of folks are looking at broadheads trying to decide what to shoot. Both fixed blade and expandable broadheads have advantages and disadvantages, but in the article I will be focusing on fixed blade style broadheads. Continue reading →
  15. BlackOvis Custom Arrow ID - Why and How?

BlackOvis Custom Arrow ID Logo Let's face it you guys, factory fletchings is a thing of the past. Grabbing a dozen arrows off the shelf that are already pre-fletched is great and easy to grab last minute, but what if we told you that you could create a dozen custom arrows, see a preview of what they'd actually look like, and have them built and shipped within 48 hours... Welcome to the BlackOvis Arrow ID... Continue reading →

15 Item(s)