A couple months ago I began the search for a late season boot in preparation for a 3rd season mule deer tag I drew in Colorado.  Typically, I wear an uninsulated boot for my September archery elk hunts but I knew this hunt could produce really cold temperatures and plenty of snow.  I wanted a boot with insulation and a little more height.

Narrowing the field

There are a bunch of great boots on the market that would fit the bill, but I’ve had really good experience with Crispi and Hanwag so I started there.  I tried on several boots including the Crispi Guide GTX, Crispi Wild Rock GTX, and Hanwag Alaska GTX.  Both the Crispi Guide and the Crispi Wild Rock have 10” uppers so they made the final cut.  Here is my assessment of both boots.

A picture containing clothing, footwear

Description automatically generated

Crispi Guide GTX

Pros:

• Very comfortable boot - Size 10 was true and fit perfect
  • Gore-Tex Insulation – 200 g – Very warm in mid-teen temps
  • 10” Water-repellent Nubuk upper
  • Protective rubber rand 
  • Grippy Vibram sole – Great traction

Cons: 

• Unlike other Crispi boots I’ve worn, these boots require a little break in.  It took me 2-3 hikes up a steep slope to break in the heal pocket.
  • Not used to lacing up a 10” boot
  • The leather squeaks a bit
A close-up of a shoe

Description automatically generated with medium confidence

Crispi Wild Rock GTX

Pros:

• Gore-Tex Lining but Insulation is Primaloft – 400 g
  • Grippy Vibram sole – Great traction

Cons: 

• Comfortable but felt too roomy
  • 10” Full grain leather upper – Requires more care

My decision

Although I would have been very happy with either one of these boots, I ended up picking the Guide GTX for my hunt.  Both boots have very similar features with the main differences being the Nubuk leather vs the full grain leather and the 200 g vs 400 g of insulation.  I think the 400 g of insulation on the Wild Rock made it feel a little roomier and if I knew I was going to sit for long periods of time, like in a tree stand, the Wild Rock would be a warmer boot. I have an active hunting style so I thought the tighter fitting Guide would result in more comfortable hiking boot.

In the field review

I have worn the Crispi Nevada for years and the Guide is essentially the same boot with insulation and an extra 2” of ankle support. I knew it would be a winner if it was anything like my experience with the Nevada’s.  Overall, I was very happy with this boot except for the little break in that was required.  My feet never got cold on my hunt and we had temps ranging from the mid-teens to the upper 30’s.  I didn’t end up putting the 10” uppers to the test because we didn’t have any snow on my hunt but I think this will be a nice feature with deeper snow and stream crossings on future hunts. I plan to take the Guides on my spring bear hunt in Alaska.  If you’re looking for an insulated late season hunting boot, look no further than the Crispi Guide GTX. 

Mark Skousen

Shop All Insulated boots

Shop All Footwear