Kevin Weber

1. Pre-Season Turkey Hunting Tips from Kevin Weber

Each and every year it never seems to fail. Between trade shows and some other late season or off-season duties, turkey season always seems to sneak right up on us. Now, I would be lying if I said there was a lot to do before the season starts. I’m not saying there is not for some people, but for me there are a few things to iron out before the season gets here. Turkey hunting can be very easy sometimes, or it can be extremely challenging. This is a good reason why you want to stack as many odds as possible in your favor. Continue reading →
  2. Essential Gear for Whitetail Hunters During the Off-Season: Top 5 Picks

As the seasons shift and the off-season beckons, it's the perfect time for avid hunters to reassess their gear arsenal and ensure they're fully prepared for the challenges ahead. In this guide, we'll delve into the realm of essential gear for whitetail hunters, unveiling the top items that can significantly enhance your success in the field. Whether you're a seasoned hunter looking to fine-tune your equipment or a newcomer eager to learn the ropes, these carefully selected tools and accessories are poised to elevate your hunting game to new heights. Join us as we explore the indispensable gear that stands between you and a triumphant whitetail hunting adventure. Continue reading →
  3. Stealth and Comfort: Whitetail Hunting in Crispi Hunting Boots

If you go back several years, some might look at you funny and wonder why in the world you are wearing hiking boots in the whitetail woods. For many of the older generations, the only type of hunting boots that comes to mind are the old classic rubber gumboots. For the winter time you may even throw on an insulated pair and you would be good to go. Boy, but if you had any walking to do, you were destined to have a soaking wet sock by the end of your jaunt. Fortunately, innovation and technology has brought more and more advanced footwear into the hunting community and it’s spread to even us whitetail folk in the midwest. Continue reading →
  4. Mastering the Art of Whitetail Food Plot Placement for Deer Hunting

mastering the art of whitetail food plot placement For avid hunters and wildlife enthusiasts, there's an unwavering fascination with whitetail deer. These majestic creatures captivate our imagination and fuel our desire to be immersed in nature. As hunting strategies evolve, one approach that has gained considerable traction over the years is the establishment of food plots specifically designed to attract and sustain whitetail populations. Continue reading →
  5. "Where It Started" - A Whitetail Hunting Story

As a kid, it was the weekend I thought about for months. It was the couple days out of the year I got to spend doing what I love with the people I love. A week before that first weekend of December, I would lay out all of my clothing and gear. My parents definitely got annoyed that I crowded up the dining room table with hunting gear but I couldn’t help myself. From a 5-year-old that could barely see over the dash of a pickup to the man I am today, I will forever cherish those hunting memories and the ones that are to come.  Continue reading →
  6. “Sitka Tool Bucket” - a Whitetail Pack Dump

As a whitetail deer hunter, when I hit the woods I like to be silent and organized. Fortunately, the Sitka Tool Bucket has been the perfect tool for the job my last 5 seasons of hunting. When I first began bowhunting everything I took to the stand with me got tossed in an old camouflage backpack that only had a couple pockets. All the jiggling and rattling that took place, it’s surprising there was even a deer left in the county when I reached my treestand. As my obsession and attention to detail has grown as a whitetail hunter, it was time to take things to the next level and the Tool Bucket did just that. I will take you through my pack setup and some of my favorite features about the Tool Bucket. Continue reading →
  7. Hunting The Iowa Whitetail Rut

When I first began hunting the river bottoms of Iowa with a shotgun at an early age, the whitetail rut is something I did not know about. As a clueless youth hunter, I simply only knew about deer drives and that was it. For those of you who don’t know what a deer drive is, it is when a group of hunters walk into a piece of land in hopes of pushing deer towards other group members that are strategically set up to shoot. Now, I am guilty along with many others that obsess over hunting the whitetail rut with a bow. Continue reading →
  8. Single vs Multi Pin Sights for Archery Hunting Whitetails

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to this comparison. I’ve spent roughly seven years in the whitetail woods with a bow and can honestly say both types of sights are equally effective. The majority of whitetail shots happen between 20 and 30 yards. This is coming from my midwestern perspective, now if you hunt whitetails out west for example, that may be a completely different story. Here in Iowa most whitetail bowhunting is done from a treestand, ground blind, or elevated box blind. Whether you are setting up on a nearby trail or food source, you generally are banking on that easy chip shot. Continue reading →
  9. What I Wish I Knew Before My First Elk Hunt

Going on your first elk hunt is both exciting and intimidating. Being from the midwest, the only knowledge or intel I had about elk hunting came from various internet sources. Many different people online were saying “You just need to go out and fail”. Now that is definitely not what any first time hunter wants to hear. I wanted to be successful of course, I mean who wouldn’t? In this article I will dive into a few different subjects that have stuck out to me the most and have been the biggest learning lesson. Keep in mind, I am from Iowa and have hunted Colorado OTC Archery two times. Continue reading →
  10. Sitka ESW PANT Review

When it comes to pants, there are so many options for a hunter to choose from. A lot can depend on your location and your tolerance to types of weather. The ESW (Early Season Whitetail) Pant from Sitka Gear has become my favorite pant that I own. Now if you are unfamiliar with Sitka’s Early Season line, it entered the market a couple of seasons ago. It launched with the intention to accommodate for those early season hunts when temperatures can be on the warm side. Let me dive into why I love this pant so much and think it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Continue reading →
  11. Turkey Hunting Checklist

It’s March and by now you have probably experienced some warm spells that have sparked your interest for the spring endeavors that are to come. Here in Iowa we have experienced some 50 and 60 degree temperatures in the later parts of February and it definitely has a lot of outdoor enthusiasts chomping at the bit. In Iowa, spring time means a few different things. There are a few favorites to partake in, such as shed hunting, morel hunting, and of course turkey hunting. Continue reading →
  12. Off-Season Checklist

If you’re like many other hunters today, you prepare year-round for a short and sweet hunting season. It blows my mind how fast it goes when you spend ¾ of the year waiting for it to get here. For many hunters though, it’s becoming more and more about the process of preparation, just as much as it is hunting itself. With that being said, the list of things you can do as a hunter is long and could go on and on as long as you want it to. Lists of things to do will vary from whitetail hunters vs western big game hunters. In this article I will do my best as a whitetail hunter to give insight on all the types of hunting and off-season work that can be done. Continue reading →
  13. Whitetail 365 Day Preparation

Most hunting seasons are a month or a couple of months out of the year. As the industry continues to expand and passions grow, those couple of months out of the year are not enough for most enthusiasts. When it comes to whitetail hunting, I personally think it provides the most out-of-season work, if you're willing to take it on. Throughout this article I will highlight a lot of the types of work that can be done throughout the year as the seasons progress. Keep in mind that I reside in Iowa and all weather patterns may not match up with other states. Continue reading →
  14. Hawk Tree Saddle

By now most modern hunters have heard of a tree saddle or understand the concept of one. There are still some though who definitely looked confused when you throw the term “tree saddle” out there. The past couple of years they have grown a lot in popularity, especially for those who are into mobile hunting. Dive in with me as I talk about my first experience trying one out and what my initial thoughts are of the Hawk Tree Saddle. Continue reading →
  15. Skyscraper 2P Tent Review

It wasn’t very long ago that I was in the market and searching for a lightweight tent. There were a few different brands that I was considering before deciding on the Skyscraper 2P from Stone Glacier. If you know much about Stone Glacier, I think everyone can agree that they are a very reputable company and well-known for their quality and lifetime warranty. Stone Glacier products are made right here in America in a town by the name of Bozeman, MT.  Continue reading →
  16. Fixed vs. Replaceable Knives

I think most hunters can agree they grew up using knives that did not have replaceable blades. Nowadays you will find lots of hunters that carry them and do not remember the last time they had to sharpen a blade. If you were to ask a handful of people which style of knife they prefer, I am sure you would get different types of answers. In this article I will help point out some of the main differences and which style of knife I would choose if I could only choose one. Continue reading →

Items 1 to 16 of 19 total

Page