BlackOvis MTN Journal

The info hub for Solid.Hunting.Gear

1. So, You Got a New Bow Huh?

I have been intrigued by archery since I was a little kid. My first few setups were recurve bows and mismatched arrows. The birds, squirrels, and hay bale targets in my yard were generally pretty safe but I didn’t care. I just loved watching the arrows fly. As I got older my desire to hit what I was aiming at gradually caught up, so at age 10 or 11 I finally graduated to a compound bow with a set of matched, store-bought arrows! That first setup was a pretty simple flipper-style rest and single-pin sight, but it was the start of a journey with bows and arrows that has led me throughout life. Watching arrows fly is still a thrill for me.  Continue reading →
  2. Sitka ESW PANT Review

When it comes to pants, there are so many options for a hunter to choose from. A lot can depend on your location and your tolerance to types of weather. The ESW (Early Season Whitetail) Pant from Sitka Gear has become my favorite pant that I own. Now if you are unfamiliar with Sitka’s Early Season line, it entered the market a couple of seasons ago. It launched with the intention to accommodate for those early season hunts when temperatures can be on the warm side. Let me dive into why I love this pant so much and think it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Continue reading →
  3. Skin to Shell, Stack And Shed

The "6 S’s" to comfort in all conditions: Skin, Shell, Stack, Shed, Season, Situation Continue reading →
  4. Lightweight Hunting Pant Comparison

My brother Jeff recently wrote a review on Midweight pants. I will use the same format he used. Most of our scouting and hunting is done in the early season when temps are a little warmer. On an early season archery elk hunt, in September for example, temps can range from 30 degrees in the morning to mid 70’s and 80’s in the day. Choosing a pant that is lightweight and breathable yet still durable is key to making these hunts more enjoyable. I had the opportunity test and put the following lightweight pants through the ringer. Continue reading →
  5. Midweight Pant Comparison

I love the off season because it’s a chance for me to test gear in preparation for next year’s hunting season.  For the past several months, I have been testing three, high-quality, midweight pants. Continue reading →
  6. Crispi New & Updated Hunting Boots For 2022

The team at Crispi, both here in America and in our Italian factory is constantly looking to improve, update and innovate our boot line. The lessons learned while hunting all across North America create ideas that can turn into new updates, improvements, and designs. We are in a unique position here at Crispi US to take the ideas and feedback we gather throughout the year directly to our Italian designers to influence design decisions and directly lead to improvements and changes. With that in mind here are the new and updated boots in the Crispi line for 2022. Continue reading →
  7. How to Build Accurate Arrows

My twin brother Jeff and I build our own arrows and we are constantly tinkering with our setups to build the most accurate arrows.  A few months back, Jeff wrote an article called "Arrow Setup 101". Arrow accuracy is built upon many of the fundamentals that Jeff discussed in his article.  In addition to trying to build the most accurate arrow it is very important to understand that bow tuning is essential to complete this process.  I won’t go into detail about bow tuning in this article, but even the most accurate arrow won’t have perfect flight without a well-tuned bow.  Bow tuning is essentially creating an environment where the arrow leaves the string of your bow in its most efficient and natural form.  What an arrow does after it leaves the string, is influenced by arrow accuracy. Continue reading →
  8. Down vs. Synthetic

When it comes to choosing how to keep warm in the outdoors, we’re lucky to have so many options.  When choosing gear to take on a hunt, or any outdoor excursion, the question of down or synthetic may have crossed your mind before.  Down insulation is the fluffy undercoat feathers that come from ducks, geese and other waterfowl.  Synthetic insulation is man-made and is made up of fine polyester filaments that are designed to create pockets of air between the fibers.  If you’re like me, you may have more than one option from each category.     Continue reading →
  9. Turkey Hunting Checklist

It’s March and by now you have probably experienced some warm spells that have sparked your interest for the spring endeavors that are to come. Here in Iowa we have experienced some 50 and 60 degree temperatures in the later parts of February and it definitely has a lot of outdoor enthusiasts chomping at the bit. In Iowa, spring time means a few different things. There are a few favorites to partake in, such as shed hunting, morel hunting, and of course turkey hunting. Continue reading →
  10. Sitka Aerolite Jacket Review

As an active hunter, I’m a huge believer in the benefits of layering my clothing system to regulate body heat.  An effective layering system includes 3 basic components. 1) A base layer that is worn close to the skin.  2) An insulation layer to provide warmth and 3) An outer layer to provide durability and protection from wind and moisture.  Depending on the conditions, any one of these three components can be worn.   It’s very common for a mid-September morning to start out in the 20’s or 30’s and warm up to 60’s or warmer in the day.  A thoughtful layering system in this scenario is extremely effective.   Continue reading →
  11. Knife Sharpening Tips & Tools

Knives are tools that have a countless number of uses and come in a similarly countless number of styles and designs. One thing all knives have in common is that whatever it is you’re using it for, it will do a better job if it’s sharp. Replaceable blade knives have come a long way over the past few years. Today they are used for EDC purposes as well as hunting applications. I own and use the Outdoor Edge Razor-Blaze replaceable blade knife. I use it frequently in the field and perform great in field dressing, skinning, and quartering duties.  Continue reading →
  12. Off-Season Checklist

If you’re like many other hunters today, you prepare year-round for a short and sweet hunting season. It blows my mind how fast it goes when you spend ¾ of the year waiting for it to get here. For many hunters though, it’s becoming more and more about the process of preparation, just as much as it is hunting itself. With that being said, the list of things you can do as a hunter is long and could go on and on as long as you want it to. Lists of things to do will vary from whitetail hunters vs western big game hunters. In this article I will do my best as a whitetail hunter to give insight on all the types of hunting and off-season work that can be done. Continue reading →
  13. Picking The Right Late Season Hunting Boot

A couple months ago I began the search for a late season boot in preparation for a 3rd season mule deer tag I drew in Colorado.  Typically, I wear an uninsulated boot for my September archery elk hunts but I knew this hunt could produce really cold temperatures and plenty of snow.  I wanted a boot with insulation and a little more height. Continue reading →
  14. How to Get the Most Out of Your Glass

Optics have become one of the essential pieces of gear for just about any big game hunt.  They can save us many miles of hiking in order to assess game, and they allow us to look at animals without having to be very close and risk spooking them.  Optics are one of the biggest advantages we have on a hunt.  In order to get the most out of your glass there’s several easy things you can do. Continue reading →
  15. Crispi Wild Rock Review (400g)

I’m a Danner man. At least, that’s what I used to say when someone asked me what my boot of choice was. 12 years ago, I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn 400g out of the Cabela’s Bargain Cave. For the next 10 years I wore those things everywhere. I’ve always been in the “one boot to do it all” camp so I wore them in the warmer weather of early season archery hunts to cold, snowy late season elk hunts. Continue reading →
  16. Whitetail 365 Day Preparation

Most hunting seasons are a month or a couple of months out of the year. As the industry continues to expand and passions grow, those couple of months out of the year are not enough for most enthusiasts. When it comes to whitetail hunting, I personally think it provides the most out-of-season work, if you're willing to take it on. Throughout this article I will highlight a lot of the types of work that can be done throughout the year as the seasons progress. Keep in mind that I reside in Iowa and all weather patterns may not match up with other states. Continue reading →

Items 33 to 48 of 167 total